Huh? What is this word? “Presto!” like from a magical demonstration, which means to be quick. Mix this with “digit” as in your fingers. Together they mean a fancy illusion made with your hands, usually done close to the audience, who was often just a few people met on the street.
So to help you remember what this spell does, think to what the street magicians can do, but treat it like it’s actual magic. You’ll see that all the abilities of this spell are inspired by these performers.
Harmless sensory effects:
- Make it feel like something is vibrating in their pocket. You know, like when you swear you just got a phone notification?
- Torture someone with the non-stop sensory effect of harmless itching
- For every step taken, a lovely piano note
- Reduce stress of situation with a well timed fart or orgasmic sound
- Announce your dramatic entrance with a choir or applause
- A bell is ringing nearby. You should go check it out
Light/snuff candle, torch, or campfire:
- Need a light for your cigar?
- No longer any need for flint and tinder
- Extinguish the light source of your enemies
- Light the string of a bow on fire
- Sneak a bottle of high proof alcohol, grab a piece of cloth (or tear a piece off of your own clothing), stuff it into the bottle, and light it up! What are the rules for molotov cocktails?
Clean/soil object of 1 cubic foot:
- That guard might be inclined to leave if their uniform was suddenly soiled
- Remove dirt or blood from your clothing. Be sure to also remove any blood stains on the ground too
- Get rid of all the spilled ink or liquid on your documents
Chill/warm/flavor 1 cubic foot of nonliving material:
- Alter the flavour of that deadly poison to a delicious cocktail
- Those dry rations of yours can now be a delicacy
- Maybe the monster won’t bite down on you if your armor/clothing tastes bad?
- Keep yourself (or another) warm or cool in extreme temperature environments
Color/Mark/Symbol on object:
- Your poker hand can suddenly be a royal flush!
- Seal of approval from the King on a letter confirms your right of entry
- Mark someone to make it easier to track them
- Leave a trail behind you in case you need to back track
- Make a coin appear like another: copper appear platinum or vice versa
- Change the colors of your outfit to better fit your needs
Nonmagical trinket or illusory image, hand sized:
- Check the Trinket table in the Player’s Handbook, pg. 160
- A few of note: Coins, Lock picks, Someone’s Underwear, Key, a flower
- Create a wind-up mouse/teeth for a distraction
- Create an ice cube, make it extra cold, and drop it down someone’s shirt. Follow up soiling their clothing
- Smack the table, where sparks emit, and remove your hand to reveal a colored hand print. Added bonus to make that hand print a scratch and sniff… or taste
- Enhanced farts: The disgusting smell and taste of the fart is matched only by the pants that have been soiled
- That guard might especially be inclined to leave if their uniform was suddenly soiled and smelled rancid
- Make dramatic entrances like a WWE wrestler: applause, your logo on a sign, and sparks!
- Drop a smelly, soiled, gross pair of socks or underwear
- Ye old classic of street magic to try and give yourself advantage on sleight of hand to check their pockets